But I thought about it in a work context, as one day I guess I will socialise with work friends in a work environment, sounds thrilling doesn't it? One of the key concepts from 'Liquid Life, Convergence Culture, and Media Work' and 'Economies' was that technology has brought everyone together, I mean, back in the day the whole workplace couldn't connect through Facebook, so they may not have got together socially much at all. Deuze said "we use Internet overwhelmingly for interpersonal communication, whether it is in the context of play, love, or work. And yes, these distinct domains of everyday life dissolve in our interactions online".
Further, having the ability to check emails and do work at home flexibly now has integrated work and leisure time together. It represents something of a more networked workplace, whereby everyone communicates with each other more so than in the past, people work from home, and overall, work and leisure have come together.
So from my ramblings I can gather that work and leisure are coming together. But is it necessarily a bad thing? I guess if you hate your job it could be, but then again, aren't we taught to strive for a job that we enjoy? Maybe it's just people are coming to enjoy their work and don't mind being bothered by their bosses 24/7, or we're all working too long and becoming dull.
I wonder what Dolly has to say about this new phenomenon?
I like your point about your occupation being a central aspect of our lives. I mean how many times do you have a conversation with someone and the inevitable question of 'So how's work?' pops up....It always happens! I also don't think many people have realised that work blurs into leisure in the work place, just as much as it does outside of it. Recent research suggests that a large number of companies are allowing employees to use Facebook whilst at work to give a more relaxed environment. There are also lots of social gatherings that occur in the workplace (Someone's birthday) or originate inside of it but occur somewhere else (Christmas parties, after work drinks, farewells etc). I find it rather interesting that everyone seems to be commenting on how work is impacting on leisure, but isn't taking notice of how leisure can impact on work...whether it be positive or negative.
ReplyDelete1. Exactly. Since most people do not see checking emails as work then why do researchers insist it is? If people derive pleasure from completing emails and satisfaction at knowing their inbox is empty, then isn't that the new job satisfaction?
ReplyDeleteGranted the more integrated technology becomes, the less "leisure time" there is, but since technology makes things 1 touch of the button away isn't it also making life simpler?
It would certainly be interesting to see what coal miners and such have to say about the poor manager who no longer has "real" business hours.
First of all, great title! The post raises really good points about the work/leisure balance and the contextuality of our relationships around our work.
ReplyDelete@Robert_UOW I think sometimes we take research at face value and just believe it as valid and true, however you raise a good point in that although checking emails may be classified as work, many of us do it out of habit, convenience, or because we want to. Having access to my emails on my iPhone, I know that as soon as I receive mail I check it, and if that then requires a reply I tend to write it straight away. This isn't because I'm a workaholic (which I'm definitely not), but moreso because I don't want to forget to reply!
First of all, great title! The post raises really good points about the work/leisure balance and the contextuality of our relationships around our work.
ReplyDelete@Robert_UOW I think sometimes we take research at face value and just believe it as valid and true, however you raise a good point in that although checking emails may be classified as work, many of us do it out of habit, convenience, or because we want to. Having access to my emails on my iPhone, I know that as soon as I receive mail I check it, and if that then requires a reply I tend to write it straight away. This isn't because I'm a workaholic (which I'm definitely not), but moreso because I don't want to forget to reply!
yes great title and great reference using the video . . . it seems like everyone is blogging about this matter and the concept of the whole working from home issue i believe is wrong and the fact with our new technology being around the possibility of getting emails at 10pm about work and junk like that to me would be frustrating . . . if i come home from a hard day at work all i want to do is turn Mr iPhone off and sit and watch the footy haha but i guess thats my opinion in this crazy crazy world.
ReplyDeleteInteresting post Ben. Its interesting what you say about leisure impacting on work just as much as work impacting on leisure. I actually have a full time job in an office environment and my social interactions with my colleagues make my time at work all the much better.
ReplyDeleteIn saying this, I actually agree with NumberTwentyThree about how working from home is wrong, although not as passionately. Robert_UOW said that finishing work at home could lead to a new form of job satisfaction, and he's right! Knowing you have finished your work is a great feeling, but as I know from working, there is always a constant stream of emails and the line of being 'finished' is often blurry. I feel that it is really important that society doesn't put too much emphasis on working during unpaid hours as personal lives is just as much, if not more, the 'central aspect of your life." Finding a balance is vital.
I had always thought that there had to be time allocated for leisure that was separated from work and never seemed to question it ... until I read your blog. I have two jobs, one I like, one I hate... the one I like could be both leisure and work ... better still leisure I get paid for. Whether you like your job or not, there is still a mentality that work is a chore. You HAVE to get up for work, you dont HAVE to get up for leisure! I think it is this mentality that affects us all defining work from leisure.
ReplyDeleteI think whether or not the blurring of the lines between work and leisure is a good thing is completely objective and depends on the individual and the work. I personally find the blurring between some work and leisure activities is agitating like having to sell my soul to google for my degree... but then again other parts i appreciate like the Facebook and skype group meetings so convenient
ReplyDeleteI agree with you comment about our occupation being a central aspect of our lives. This is evident when we first meet someone one of the first questions asked is What do you do? or where do you work? Not where do you live? Or what do you do in your leisure time?
ReplyDeleteThe blurred lines between work and leisure has become an issue for a lot more people with the evolution of technology but I have quite a few memories of my both my parents doing work at home well before the internet and smart phones.
I just wonder whether the status in society a persons occupation or job title can bring also plays a part in these blurred lines? For some, what a person does for a living defines who they are and blurring the lines between work and play is a conscience effort to achieve one status goal or dream job. The internet and smart phones have just made this easier.