Tuesday, 26 July 2011

First Impressions

I guess I had better introduce myself, and all that jazz before we get into any serious business.


First of all, my name is Ben, i'm currently 19, and am in my second year in a Bachelor of Communication and Media Studies and a Bachelor of Commerce. I major in international media and communication as well as marketing for commerce, with a minor in finance. Although, I have changed majors about three or four times, so lets not make anything permanent just yet.



In relation to this subject I am interested in a number of areas, including:
  • Online marketing
  • Social networking
  • Social marketing
  • Wikileaks and the impact of internet on democracy and freedom of speech

The internet is an important part of life now, and I believe we should be doing our best to investigate the capabilities that it possesses and exactly how we can use it.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Ben,
    I completely agree with you that the internet is a very important part of our lives, and it seems to be taking over more and more. I don't think this is necessarily a bad thing; such a massive network has incredible potential to be useful... sites such as Ebay connect us with people willing to take our secondhand stuff off our hands, and search engines like Google can point us to mountains of information within milliseconds. However all this is useless if we don't know how to use it effectively- Google's ability to connect a student to information is only useful if the student knows how to effectively use search terms to find what they need and if they are able to appropriately filter which sites are the most reliable.

    Of course with privacy concerns on Facebook and the lack of laws capable of dealing with cyber crime and cyber bullying effectively, its pretty obvious that the internet's hold over our lives could be detrimental. That's why I think you're completely right in suggesting that we need to investigate its capabilities and how we can use it, so that we are able maintain personal control within the network and makes sure it lives up to its positive and not negative potential in our everyday life.
    I hope that DIGC202 helps us understand the internet so we can use it effectively.

    ReplyDelete